Things may not always work out in life the way we plan them. If you are going through marital or family law issues, we can help. At the Law and Mediation Office of Darren M. Shapiro, P.C., we are the right selection for divorce, separation, child custody, orders of protection, child support and other family law needs.
Couples considering mediation are welcome to come in for a free, 30-minute consultation. Darren M. Shapiro, Esq. has comprehensive and extensive knowledge of litigation, mediation , settlement skills and collaborative law training to find the unique approach that fits each individual or family. For instance, when a couple contemplating separation has children, discussing and resolving parenting time and child support is critical. In addition, married couples have to consider the requirement and length of spousal maintenance, equitable distribution of marital assets such as retirement benefits, identification of separate property and allocation of marital debt. Outlining these topics in a separation agreement is helpful should the marriage eventually terminate.Areas of Practice
- Divorce: We advocate reasonable solutions to meet your goals, and are sensitive to the unique requirements of your individual situation. When there are no unresolved issues, the divorce can proceed as an uncontested matter.
- Separation: Some people choose to get divorced immediately after entering into a separation agreement. Because New York has a no-fault divorce law, couples can rely on the separation agreement terms to become the settlement in their divorce. The state no longer requires living apart for one year prior to entering a divorce without fault based grounds.
- Child Custody and Visitation: Our office has successfully litigated numerous cases of visitation, parenting time and custody arrangements. We can help you recognize the different options possible for you particular circumstances so that you can achieve or settle on the best choice for you and your family.
- Child Support: We work hard to help you understand your rights whether you are fighting for or defending an application for to child support. We are happy to discuss different approaches for resolving support issues even if a divorce case is not currently filed. We can help you achieve a result that makes sense for you.
- Mediation: Darren Shapiro bases practical mediation strategies on years of experience in family law. Agreements focus on the goal of withstanding the scrutiny of a court, should the matter be settled and submitted to the court to sign off upon. Couples with an interest in mediation are invited to our offices for a half-hour no-fee consultation. We will cover the negotiation process, discuss issues requiring settlement and the steps necessary for drafting a binding agreement.
- Collaborative Law: This is a distinctly non-adversarial process. Everyone signs an agreement to settle the case without litigation. A settlement is a collaboration process achieved through a series of meetings with the couple, their respective attorneys and other team members. The process avoids the conflict and emotional exchange often associated with a contested divorce.
- Pre-Nuptial, Post-Nuptial and Separation Agreements and Stipulations: These agreements and stipulations of settlements represent various avenues for protection in case of a divorce. They serve the purpose of defining the respective rights of each marital partner in case the marriage dissolves.
- Paternity: Prior to a court determining any parental rights and obligations, the state of New York requires a legal declaration of paternity. Advocacy from an experienced family law attorney is crucial when dealing with any paternity issues. We work diligently to protect your rights and are always willing to find solutions that are favorable and reasonable for you.
- Equitable Distribution: We can assist you in resolving any equitable distribution issues. In fact, it is essential to understand that any assets acquired during the marriage can be subject to being distributed equitably and fairly during the divorce. Separate property and credits are important aspects to consider in equitable distribution. Coming to an understanding of what is appropriate and fair for your particular case requires someone with skills and in-depth knowledge of favorable settlements and the law.
- Orders of Protection: We handle numerous family offense proceedings in Long Island, Nassau, Queens, Suffolk and the surrounding New York City areas. We will advocate for you and take the steps necessary to ensure your protection or defend against the allegations.
Our purpose is to help you through your case or divorce mediation process. Our experience and diverse toolbox of skills allows us to represent you through the entire procedure. We are conveniently located in Nassau County, New York, between Queens and Suffolk. We also provide services for clients throughout New York City and the surrounding areas. Call the Law and Mediation Office of Darren M. Shapiro, P.C. today at 516-333-6555 for an initial free phone or in office consultation. We can discuss the services and support that we provide.